Thursday, December 4, 2008

It Doesn't Feel Like Christmas Until Your Kitchen's Covered In Flour

I'm toooootally in a holiday mood, you guys. I'm writing my cards, online buying gifts, making T listen to seasonal classics from Mariah and Madonna...and, next up, I will BAKE, which is ultimately my favorite part because 1) it entails food and 2) you get so much credit for whipping up cookies because, for whatever reason, people think mixing together flour, eggs, butter, and sugar is harder than it is.

I'm going to make one of my mom's Chrismukkah specialties, heavenly hash, which is an ooey gooey combo of chocolate, peanut butter, butterscotch, and marshmallows. It's her one Dec. treat that does not require a candy thermometer (which is really shocking if you know my mother, who hardly has the focus to complete a meal without leaving out a key ingredient). Beyond that, I'm playing domestic goddess with these crazy adorable sugar-crusted lemon sandwich cookies from this month's Gourmet and these brown butter cookies from a 1961 issue of the same inspired food mag (see the pretty pictures). [Please do not think that I resourceful enough to have dug up a sixties recipe on my own. The mag's website has this AMAZING roundup of the best cookie recipe from every year since 1941, and they all look so f-ing classy.]

OMFG, starving.

No comments: